The Alliance, Our Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) meets every first and third Thursday after school in RM 259 in person or Class code: kirmgji on google meets virtually/
2020-2021 Board Members: Jason, Leilani, Larissa, Brianna, Romero 🙂
What Does LGBTQ-IA Mean?
- Lesbian – A female- identified person who is attracted romantically, physically, or emotionally to another female-identified person.
- Gay – A person, mainly a male-identified person, who is attracted romantically, physically, or emotionally to another a person of the same sex.
- Bisexual – A person who is attracted romantically, physically, or emotionally to both men and women.
- Transgender – A person who is a member of a gender other than that expected based on anatomical sex.
- Queer – An umbrella term which embraces a variety of sexual preferences, orientations, and habits of those who do not adhere to the heterosexual and cisgender majority. The term queer includes, but is not exclusive to lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transpeople, and intersex persons, traditionally, this term is derogatory and hurtful, however, many people who do not adhere to sexual and/or gender norms use it to self-identify in a positive way.
- Intersex – Someone who’s physical sex characteristics are not categorized as exclusively male or exclusively female.
- Asexual – A person who does not have a sexual orientation. A person that does not experience a sexual attraction but can experience a romantic, emotional, or aesthetic attraction to another person.
- Ally – A person who does not identify as LGBTQIA, but supports the rights and safety of those who do.
- South Florida Support Groups
- Parents’ Influence on the Health of Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Teens
- Responding to Concerns: Teaching About Gender
Links to National Resources
- Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network (GLESEN)
- Safe Schools South Florida (SSSF)
- PFLAG – Support for families of LGBT students
- Happy Hippies
- The Community of LGBT Centers – Center Links
- Gender Spectrum
- The National Center for Transgender Equality
- Trans Life Line – Hotline: (877) 565-8860
- The Trevor Project (crisis interventions) – Hotline: 866-488-7386
- True Colors Fund – Ending Homelessness for LGBT youth
- Welcoming Schools – A project of the Human Rights Campaign (Welcoming Schools offers professional development tools, lessons aligned with the Common Core State Standards, and many additional resources for elementary schools)
- Health Care Equality Index – LGBTQ friendly doctors and clinics
- The Yes Institute
- The Alliance – 305-899-8087
- Gay Straight Alliance Network