- Completing assigned homework as directed and in the spirit in which it was assigned.
- Returning homework to the teacher by the designated time.
- Submitting homework assignments that reflect careful attention to detail and quality of work.
- Devoting a minimum of 30 minutes each day to reading as an additional part of the homework assignment.
NOTE: Students can receive additional help through the Homework Helpers Program, which includes the Dial-A-Teacher program, at 305-995-1600, Monday through Thursday from 5:30 P.M. to 8:30 P.M., Cable Tap Channel 37, from 5-6 p.m. Monday through Thursday, they could see their homework tutor on the screen. Students may also access Miami-Dade County Public School’s web page at: http://www.dial-a-teacher.com
While it is understood that parents are not responsible for providing a great deal of assistance to their child in completing homework, there is still much that parents can do to promote good study habits.
Parents’ Responsibilities Include:
- Providing continued interest and concern for the child’s successful performance in school through encouraging and supporting the child in his/her performance of homework assigned
- Indicating an interest about assignments and assisting, if possible, when requested by the child, but not to include performing the work for the child
- Supporting the school in regard to the students’ being assigned homework
- Requesting assignments for students when short term absences are involved
- Assisting the school in stressing the importance of reading and its benefits
- Assuring that students read for a period of at least 30 minutes each day in addition to any other assigned homework
* Excerpt from School Board Rule 6Gx13- 6A-1.23